Kansas: Alcohol, Tobacco, Nightlife, and Gambling Culture
Kansas, located in the heart of America, has its own unique culture when it comes to alcohol, tobacco, nightlife, and gambling. This article will delve into the specifics of these activities in the Sunflower State.
Purchasing Alcohol and Tobacco in Kansas
In Kansas, individuals must be 21 years old to legally purchase alcohol and tobacco products. Establishments such as liquor stores, restaurants, and bars are the common spots for purchasing alcohol. However, grocery and convenience stores are permitted to sell only cereal malt beverages with an alcohol content no higher than 3.2%.
Tobacco products can be purchased in convenience stores, smoke shops, and some supermarkets. Be prepared to show a valid photo ID as proof of age when purchasing these products.
Kansas Drinking Culture
Kansas’s drinking culture, while not as distinct as some states, does have its own characteristics:
1. Local Breweries and Distilleries: Kansas has seen a growth in local breweries and distilleries over the years. They offer a range of craft beers and spirits, contributing to the local drinking culture.
2. Wine: Kansas has several wineries that contribute to the state’s alcohol culture, including the Somerset Ridge Vineyard and Winery (www.somersetridge.com), which offers wine tastings and events.
Bars and Nightclubs in Kansas
Kansas has a range of bars and nightclubs to suit varying tastes:
1. The Bourgeois Pig (www.thebourgeoispig.com): Located in Lawrence, this bar offers a laid-back atmosphere with an impressive array of cocktails.
2. Club Rodeo (www.clubrodeokc.com): For those who enjoy country music and dancing, this Wichita-based nightclub is a popular choice.
Gambling in Kansas
Kansas has several legal gambling options:
1. Casinos: There are several Native American-run and state-owned casinos in Kansas, such as the Hollywood Casino at Kansas Speedway (www.hollywoodcasinokansas.com), offering slots and table games.
2. State Lottery: The Kansas Lottery (www.kslottery.com) offers a variety of games, with the revenues often used to support state services.
Kansas provides a diverse range of experiences, whether you’re savoring a locally-brewed beer, enjoying country music at a local club, or trying your luck at a casino. Always remember to engage in these activities responsibly and in accordance with the local laws and regulations.