Rhode Island: Small State, Big Personality
Despite being the smallest state in the U.S., Rhode Island is renowned for its rich history, beautiful coastline, and vibrant nightlife. The state’s drinking culture, laws concerning the purchase of alcohol and tobacco, and the scope of gambling activities all contribute to the character and allure of Rhode Island.
Drinking Culture in Rhode Island
Rhode Island’s drinking culture is influenced by its coastal location, with many bars, restaurants, and breweries offering an array of drinks, from locally brewed craft beers to handcrafted cocktails. The state’s signature drink, coffee milk – a mix of milk and coffee syrup – demonstrates its unique approach to beverages. However, when it comes to alcoholic beverages, the state’s residents and visitors alike have a plethora of options to explore.
Purchasing Alcohol in Rhode Island
In Rhode Island, you must be 21 years old to purchase alcohol. Wine, beer, and spirits are typically sold in liquor stores, as most grocery stores do not carry alcohol. Sales hours for alcohol are set by the state, with liquor stores typically operating from 9 AM to 10 PM, and sales are not permitted on certain holidays.
Notable Bars and Breweries in Rhode Island
1. The Eddy (www.eddybar.com): Located in downtown Providence, The Eddy is renowned for its creative cocktails and cozy atmosphere.
2. Foolproof Brewing Company (www.foolproofbrewing.com): This Pawtucket-based brewery offers a variety of craft beers and hosts regular tastings.
3. Newport Vineyards (www.newportvineyards.com): More than a vineyard, this venue offers a winery, brewery, and a taproom.
Purchasing Tobacco in Rhode Island
The legal age to purchase tobacco products in Rhode Island is 21. This includes cigarettes, cigars, e-cigarettes, and other vaping products. Tobacco can be bought at convenience stores, smoke shops, and some supermarkets.
Nightlife in Rhode Island
Despite its size, Rhode Island, particularly its capital Providence, boasts a lively nightlife scene with a diverse range of bars, clubs, and music venues.
1. The Dark Lady (www.darklady.com): A popular nightclub in Providence known for its drag shows and lively dance floor.
2. The Strand (www.thestrandri.com): Formerly known as Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel, The Strand is a top destination for live music.
Gambling in Rhode Island
Rhode Island law permits several forms of gambling, including lottery games, pari-mutuel wagering on horse racing, and casino gambling. The state is home to two casinos:
1. Twin River Casino (www.twinriver.com): Located in Lincoln, this casino offers a wide array of gambling options, from slots to table games.
2. Tiverton Casino Hotel (www.twinrivertiverton.com): Like its sister property in Lincoln, the Tiverton Casino offers a variety of gambling options, along with dining and accommodation.
Although Rhode Island is the smallest state, it more than makes up for its size with a vibrant drinking culture, diverse nightlife, and a broad range of gambling options. From the coastal charm of Newport to the city nightlife of Providence, the state offers a unique experience that is quintessentially Rhode Island. As always, it is essential to drink responsibly and adhere to the state’s legal age restrictions. Enjoy the Ocean State!